Your daughter receives hundreds of messages every day telling her how she is supposed to look and how she is supposed to act. Studies show that the media messages have a profound effect on her image of herself. That effect is not a positive one, it harms her. And media is EVERYWHERE!
What's a mother to do? How do we bolster our girls up - and make no mistake - we MUST bolster them because the media beats them down - constantly.
Here's my list of 5 ways to build her up:
- Use sound bites: short messages that you repeat regularly to help positive messages sink in deeply: "You're doing well!" - "I love you and know you can do it." - "You're amazing, you really are!"
- Surround your daughter with positive role models: other kids who are positive and open-minded, trusted adults who know how to boost girls up, and mentors in her field of interest.
- Teach your daughter how to really relax and rejuvenate.
- Help her get in touch with what she wants - not what the latest trend suggests, not what her friends want, not what you want - but what SHE wants. Then help her ask for it. Really, we need to walk our girls through this process over and over again.
- Send her positive messages. Put them in her lunch box, send her text messages, and put sticky notes on her computer that can build her up. Need help here? Sign your daughter up for one of these text message streams (delivered once/day); these streams are designed for preteen and teen girls - they deliver positive and uplifting messages in a language she can hear. (Bonus: it only costs $4.95)
You are powerful as moms and women who care about girls. Use your power to build up your daughter and the other girls in your life. They ARE the next generation of women.